14 Aug 10 Reasons to Install a Home Water Filtration System
Clean water is vital to your health for drinking, showering, and cooking your food. Most people today drink chlorine-treated water that still contains many harmful bacteria, chemicals and other contaminants. Water, like oxygen is crucial to maintain life. Every person needs to have enough water each day for the body to function effectively, since over 70 percent of the human body is made up of water.
It is ironic that only a small percentage of water is healthy to drink, considering that two-thirds of the earth’s surface is covered by water. Likewise, water from your tap may not be pure, despite passing through a water treatment facility. It is because it is easy for water to pick up contaminants after it has left the water treatment facility. The situation is the same if the water is stored in a private well. A good way to ensure that you will have a good supply of clean and pure water in your home is to install a home water filtration system.
Filtering your water removes bacteria, heavy metals and chemicals from the water. Think of the hassle of having the water you drink and use tested regularly. The safest and simplest solution is to use filtered water by investing in an advanced home water filtration system.
There are various types of advanced home water filtration system available in the market and the top three are the following:
- Activated carbon. It is one of the most common and the least expensive among the many types of water filters. The system is usually installed under the sink. You just replace the filter cartridges as often as needed. Activated carbon filtration systems are known to be effective in removing parasites, chemicals and heavy metals that may be present in the water.
- Cation exchange water filter systems. It is also called ion exchange filters or water softeners. In this filter system, positively-charged ions are used to attract negatively-charged ions that are harmful, such as barium and calcium. Barium can cause some health issues as prolonged exposure to this earth metal can affect your internal organs. Magnesium and calcium can damage pipes and also make water taste bad.
- Reverse osmosis. This is considered as the most effective home water filtration system. Reverse osmosis forces the water to pass through a semi-permeable membrane using air pressure. Almost all contaminants are effectively filtered out with this system. Water filtration process is either 5, 6 or 7 stages. Brands that process water in more stages (6 or 7) are able to produce alkaline water. Output is between 50 to 90 gallons per day.
Whatever type of home water filtration system you choose, take a look at the benefits you will get from filtering your water.
- Have safer drinking water anytime. When you filter your water, you are ensured that you have healthy drinking water, compared to the bottled water and tap water that comes straight from the water treatment plants in your municipality. Unfiltered water, even if it has come from the water treatment plant still have contaminants such as lead. Water treatment plants add chemicals such as fluoride and chlorine to the water as their treatment method. When you have an advanced home water filtration system, these chemicals, other impurities and most of the 2,100 known toxins in drinking water are removed. Fill safe water bottles with filtered water if you’re into going out for sports, a picnic or a day trip.
- Protect the environment. There were 50 Billion plastic water bottles bought in the U.S last year. However, only 38% were recycled, with the remainder ending up in landfills. With a home water filtration system, you will not be adding more rubbish into landfills. On the average, it will take 450 years for plastic bottles to disintegrate.
- Minimize aggravation of skin conditions. Substances such as heavy metals, fluoride and chlorine in the water can aggravate skin conditions. This includes psoriasis and eczema, especially in children.
- Cost Savings. If you are currently buying bottled water, you’ll realize a big savings from installing a water filter at home. If there are four members in your household and each of you drink three 16.9 ounce bottles of water each day, you’ll be able to save a minimum of $700 annually. This assumes you buy an average priced 24 pack of water bottles at a cost around $5.00. If you install a reverse osmosis home water filtration system, it only costs between $300 and $500. A new filter is required annually at an average cost of $50-80.
- Reduce plumbing repair bills. You can reduce plumbing repairs, and cut your repair bills when you use filtered water. Heavy metals, minerals and chemicals in unfiltered water can cause damage to your plumbing system. It is not only the pipes that could be affected but also other home appliances that use water. This includes your water dispenser, refrigerator ice maker, garbage disposal, dishwasher and washing machine.
- Enhance disaster preparedness. If a sewer line bursts near your house, it can cause water contamination. However, you will be protected in you have an advanced home water filtration system installed for the whole house.
- Save on soap. An advanced home water filtration system acts in the same way as a water softener. This will help you to use less soap to clean your body, your dishes and your clothes. Hard water has minerals that prevents the ionic action of soap, thus its cleaning power is minimized.
- Improve the taste of drinking water. Water filters remove elements that cause drinking water to have an unpleasant taste and smell, such as lead, chlorine and bacteria. Home water filtration system will improve the overall purity, taste and smell of your drinking water. It also lowers the pH level of the water that you drink.
- Reduce risk of gastrointestinal diseases. Several parasites can be found in the water and many microscopic organisms live in sources of water that have not been treated properly. Parasites that can cause intestinal and digestive problems are removed by filtration.
- Remove soap scum and deposits on clothes. Over time, the chemicals in unclean tap water will leave deposits on clothes, causing them to smell differently. It also can lead to rashes and allergies. Likewise, unclean water causes soap scum buildup on your dishes, your clothes and your bathroom.
Now that you know the benefits of using a home water filtration system, there should no longer be any reason for you to drink unfiltered water. You not only ensure that you use clean water, you also see to it that your health concerns about drinking contaminated and chemical-laden water are addressed.